Giving Flights. Extending Life

Giving Flights. Extending Life

Our Mission:

The Scott S. Craun Foundation is a non-profit charity created by Scott Craun (1975-2011), a registered nurse in Honolulu, Hawaii. Before Scott passed away from Multiple Myeloma, he took the initial steps to establish a fund that could perpetually aid island-bound cancer patients. Multiple Myeloma is a rare blood cell cancer. Scott's know-how as a health care provider AND a cancer patient lent his mission a laser focus on a specific population. Relatively, there are not many myeloma patients in Hawaii (less than 400). The nearest support groups are in California. This charity will make an important difference in the quality of some of these lives. Like Scott, these patients were told, "You have an 'incurable cancer.' Eventually, you will have to take a break from your work. And the most specialized treatment centers are 2500 miles away."


Scott's wish is to provide Hawaii's myeloma patients (or one family member/care-giver) with round-trip airfare to the Continental US for any oncologist-recommended treatment not available in Hawaii. Stem cell transplant, for example, can be a key to prolonging life--sometimes by years--as it was for Scott. Twice Scott experienced the hardships of this relocation for transplant. Scott had many of us to help him through this burden and he was eternally grateful; many other patients are not nearly as networked. Scott became acutely aware of their immediate need. He left behind documents outlining a non-profit based on incremental goals and longevity as priorities over huge sums of money. Ultimate success means for us to be still providing at least one annual flight on the day Hawaii is capable of all specialized myeloma patient technology. Or, even better: on the day MM is no longer deemed "incurable."


To turn Scott's efforts into reality, we will need your help. One annual donation per person--of any amount--is welcomed, along with your suggestions, fundraising ideas, and maybe a few volunteer hours at our events. All who donate will receive a personal message from our foundation updating you on our balance, expenses, number of donors, upcoming fundraisers, and goals. The specific language in our tax exempt 501(c)3 will be transparent to all. We report to every single donor as if they were an investor, beacause they are. The way we give to patients will be on a very personal basis, and we'll share those stories here. Thank you, stay tuned, and thanks to Scott for pointing us in the right direction! We're going to take what he started . . . and keep it going for as long as there is a demand.

Scott S. Craun Foundation. Domestic Nonprofit Corporation, State of Hawaii File No. 235294 D2.

Make out checks to: / send mail to:
Scott S. Craun Foundation
2700 S. King Street
Unit 11564
Honolulu, HI 96828
ph. (808) 772-0408

CraunFoundation@gmail.com

Monday, December 12, 2011

Last Chemo Infused of course it will come with some bad news!!!

On Monday or Tuesday (day 1 or 2 of the new Chemotherapy Cycle) I started having blurred and double vision (not during or due to the tx: however on one of the same days).  On a visit that Tuesday (i think) Kerri noticed that my left eye appear to have a slight buldge.  My RN was informed who then informed the Md. who oversees MONARC the Skilled Nurse Facility I am living in.  He asked that I see my oncologist later that day if possible when I leave for chemotherapy.  Prior to my chemo treatment I called and talked with my ophthalmologist over the phone. She deduced that this was a neurological problem via the phone prior to my visit with my Onc.  While receiving my Chemotherapy my Onc. examined me and agreed with her.  A MRI was scheduled and there dx of my condition was confirmed.   It appears another mass has been noticed.  It is a little less then an inch in diameter and located just above and outside the previous scan done for my previous mass. This mass is causing the slight bulge in my left eye and is pressing on cranial nerve 1 for sure and possible #'s 2 and 3 as well. 

I am scheduled to see Dr. Pang.  He is the Radiation Oncologist at The Queens Medical Center.  Now my last 12 round trips (under the table no tax) cost me $120 each.  That is just under $1500 for 12 R/T's.  Now these trips are only 5-8 miles one way and take about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours depending how long you may have to wait.  If going by POV (privet owned vehicle) I need to have a wheelchair, which I currently do not and you are not allowed to remove them from the facility.  This is not an issue since rentals are in-expensive at $75 for a week / $150 for a month. 

So friends if I can go by POV and the tx: are anything like past 12..... I will be in luck and have the same time each day M-F.  I will hope to be squeezed into there schedule at 1:50 - 2:10.  Treatments take 5 minutes and I can be done and out the door.

The main thing to take from this is the new mass.  That means at this time the Cancer is out racing or pacing my Chemo.  This is understandable since my MM has been out of control for at least 6 months, and it is not possible to know how much damage it has done, where all the damage may be and to what extent.  There are obvious areas of damage I know without a doubt that I have something wrong with my right hip, no doubt.

I will be talking with Queens Cancer Center and crossing my fingers that Tuesdays consult can be done over the phone and that I can get a wheelchair by Wednenday and a ride schedule set up for Wednesday through Friday and then for the rest of what is to come.  Please let me know if you think you maybe able to help.  Pick up will be from MONARCH (straight past the guard shack at Kaisers ER) to Queens Cancer Center and there is a location but I need to get an exact parking area for everyone and a few other minor details.  

DO NOT HESITATE TO LET ME KNOW IF YOU SEE ANY ISSUES WITH MY PLANNING.  ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP GREATLY.

ALOHA,
SCOTT

A couple of you collected and sent me leaves (on the down low to help decorate the top of desk) this is a couple pic's from the one's Malia and Jake brought me. 



3 comments:

Steph Wilson said...

Hi Scott, just wanted to let you know that Im so glad to get these blog updates. You're always in my thoughts, and Im thankful to know what's been going on. Hoping to be back in Hawaii and see you soon. Love, Steph

Mary Ellen said...

Scott, I appreciate you sharing your experiences and especially admire your positive responses and good humor. Your emotional strength is amazing! I know your mom, so I am not surprised at this strength - you come by it honestly.
My thoughts and prayers are sent your way from PA.

Anonymous said...

RIP Scott. May you be with God now. You were loved by so many. You will be in our hearts forever!