This is the first time in the past 2 months (give or take) that I did not need a transfusion of PRBC longer then a week. It has been 10 days since my last Red Blood Cell transfusion. But what made it a nice day was that I did not need Platelets today either. I did just receiver platelets on Friday so that is part of it. Donor platelets tend to last about 72 hours after infusion. So more then likely I will have a long day on Thursday.
7:30 Lab draw - 8:00am registration and Port-a-cath to be accessed - 9:00am Chemotherapy (premeditation for nausea & side effects for the Chemo around 8:30am - 10:30-11:00am premedication for blood transfusion. 11:00 - 1130am transfusions start. That is if all goes to plan and the RN's / Lab cooperates with the plan and does not make a mistake. Platelet will take 45 minutes from start to finish. The PRBC will take over 2 hours each. Not to mention a little time between (RN availability, picking up the units of blood, Patient verification, which takes 2 RN's) each unit. That can sometimes be half a hour. So the 3 units will take 5 1/2 hours at the minimum. Then my port has to be removed vital signs checked one more time and the following weeks appointments made. So best case I leave by 6pm give of take... Just in case you wanted to get an idea about my transfusion and infusion days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment