Giving Flights. Extending Life

Giving Flights. Extending Life

Our Mission:

The Scott S. Craun Foundation is a non-profit charity created by Scott Craun (1975-2011), a registered nurse in Honolulu, Hawaii. Before Scott passed away from Multiple Myeloma, he took the initial steps to establish a fund that could perpetually aid island-bound cancer patients. Multiple Myeloma is a rare blood cell cancer. Scott's know-how as a health care provider AND a cancer patient lent his mission a laser focus on a specific population. Relatively, there are not many myeloma patients in Hawaii (less than 400). The nearest support groups are in California. This charity will make an important difference in the quality of some of these lives. Like Scott, these patients were told, "You have an 'incurable cancer.' Eventually, you will have to take a break from your work. And the most specialized treatment centers are 2500 miles away."


Scott's wish is to provide Hawaii's myeloma patients (or one family member/care-giver) with round-trip airfare to the Continental US for any oncologist-recommended treatment not available in Hawaii. Stem cell transplant, for example, can be a key to prolonging life--sometimes by years--as it was for Scott. Twice Scott experienced the hardships of this relocation for transplant. Scott had many of us to help him through this burden and he was eternally grateful; many other patients are not nearly as networked. Scott became acutely aware of their immediate need. He left behind documents outlining a non-profit based on incremental goals and longevity as priorities over huge sums of money. Ultimate success means for us to be still providing at least one annual flight on the day Hawaii is capable of all specialized myeloma patient technology. Or, even better: on the day MM is no longer deemed "incurable."


To turn Scott's efforts into reality, we will need your help. One annual donation per person--of any amount--is welcomed, along with your suggestions, fundraising ideas, and maybe a few volunteer hours at our events. All who donate will receive a personal message from our foundation updating you on our balance, expenses, number of donors, upcoming fundraisers, and goals. The specific language in our tax exempt 501(c)3 will be transparent to all. We report to every single donor as if they were an investor, beacause they are. The way we give to patients will be on a very personal basis, and we'll share those stories here. Thank you, stay tuned, and thanks to Scott for pointing us in the right direction! We're going to take what he started . . . and keep it going for as long as there is a demand.

Scott S. Craun Foundation. Domestic Nonprofit Corporation, State of Hawaii File No. 235294 D2.

Make out checks to: / send mail to:
Scott S. Craun Foundation
2700 S. King Street
Unit 11564
Honolulu, HI 96828
ph. (808) 772-0408

CraunFoundation@gmail.com

Sunday, October 23, 2011

I should have bought stock in ice cream....

You guys are out of control....  Ice cream for breakfast....  ice cream with a side of ice cream and an IPA....  There is a lot of you out there so no one needs to take on a gallon of turtle tracks just to keep me up on my feet and moving through the day.  That being said I want to thank you guys for everything IT'S WORKING. 

scottcraun.blogspot.com

Before this get long, and i hope to keep it short.  I want everyone to know that I plan to start blogging again.  At least a couple times a week.  Short post about how I am feeling, what I got into and what is going on with my treatment.  I just know you want to know, i mean who wouldn't... Hello have you seen me.... FABULOUS...  minus a couple things: chicken legs (which are not even chx legs anymore.. there skinner with no definition), but other then that.....  FABULOUS.....  except for maybe the bruises, pasty white skin, pot belly, my hair falling out, being very gassy, having hairy toes (how can you loose all the hair on your head yet still have hair on your toes which occasionally gets knotted or bound to the fibers in your sock and pulled out).....  hairy toes (really).....    other then that......  FABULOUS

So the blog.  It has been awhile and still has a lot of older post.  It is not up to date as I plan to make it, but that will happen when I have the patients to do so.  I left open spots / post back in the blog.  I am going to copy and paste my past updates and the updates that Mom's sent out during my stay in the hospital while undergoing my 2nd transplant.  They will be back further into the blog...  FYI

Now back to me... me, me, me.....  Since having my concerns confirmed by my new oncologist.........  sending out my update & all the support that I have received.......  I have been feeling much better...  I give a lot of credit to everyone of you.  Your thoughts, support, prayers, positive energy, emails and texts are just what I have needed.   I have a long way to go.  With all the same issues, but everything seems a little easier the past couple week and half.  I sleep a little better in my new recliner Sleepy "Zzzzzzzzzz"... I look like a tired old wookiee in his rocker/recliner, and with my frequent blood and platelet transfusion i have more energy and a hamstring on the mend (after almost 2 months of struggling moving around). 

So thing are moving in the right direction..... 
ALOHA
S-

No comments: