Giving Flights. Extending Life

Giving Flights. Extending Life

Our Mission:

The Scott S. Craun Foundation is a non-profit charity created by Scott Craun (1975-2011), a registered nurse in Honolulu, Hawaii. Before Scott passed away from Multiple Myeloma, he took the initial steps to establish a fund that could perpetually aid island-bound cancer patients. Multiple Myeloma is a rare blood cell cancer. Scott's know-how as a health care provider AND a cancer patient lent his mission a laser focus on a specific population. Relatively, there are not many myeloma patients in Hawaii (less than 400). The nearest support groups are in California. This charity will make an important difference in the quality of some of these lives. Like Scott, these patients were told, "You have an 'incurable cancer.' Eventually, you will have to take a break from your work. And the most specialized treatment centers are 2500 miles away."


Scott's wish is to provide Hawaii's myeloma patients (or one family member/care-giver) with round-trip airfare to the Continental US for any oncologist-recommended treatment not available in Hawaii. Stem cell transplant, for example, can be a key to prolonging life--sometimes by years--as it was for Scott. Twice Scott experienced the hardships of this relocation for transplant. Scott had many of us to help him through this burden and he was eternally grateful; many other patients are not nearly as networked. Scott became acutely aware of their immediate need. He left behind documents outlining a non-profit based on incremental goals and longevity as priorities over huge sums of money. Ultimate success means for us to be still providing at least one annual flight on the day Hawaii is capable of all specialized myeloma patient technology. Or, even better: on the day MM is no longer deemed "incurable."


To turn Scott's efforts into reality, we will need your help. One annual donation per person--of any amount--is welcomed, along with your suggestions, fundraising ideas, and maybe a few volunteer hours at our events. All who donate will receive a personal message from our foundation updating you on our balance, expenses, number of donors, upcoming fundraisers, and goals. The specific language in our tax exempt 501(c)3 will be transparent to all. We report to every single donor as if they were an investor, beacause they are. The way we give to patients will be on a very personal basis, and we'll share those stories here. Thank you, stay tuned, and thanks to Scott for pointing us in the right direction! We're going to take what he started . . . and keep it going for as long as there is a demand.

Scott S. Craun Foundation. Domestic Nonprofit Corporation, State of Hawaii File No. 235294 D2.

Make out checks to: / send mail to:
Scott S. Craun Foundation
2700 S. King Street
Unit 11564
Honolulu, HI 96828
ph. (808) 772-0408

CraunFoundation@gmail.com

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Numbness 6.30.2007

Hello everyone, it's Saturday morning and I have found some relief from a new pain medication that I started yesterday. I applied a pain patch last night. Fentanyl. It's quite strong. Much stronger then what I have been taking. My pain is a lot more tolerable, still present but the edge is off, mind you I have not had to cough or sneeze yet today. Actually I have not allowed myself to sneeze for quite some time (probably more then 3 months) and my coughs are quite pathetic. I have a feeling my subconscious is constantly reminding the rest of my body that somethings are just not allowed. We'll see how it goes over the next day or so. It may end up being a little strong for me (making me sleepy), if so I'll either be sleep walking or have to get my Doc to write me an Rx at a lower dose. I was able to get a referral to the pain specialist and will see them next week Friday.


The results of my first blood test since starting Chemo where normal. A complete blood count was done. They will be doing a CBC every Monday for the next 8 weeks. Checking for a decrease in my white blood cell count, or signs of anemia.


As side effects go you can add neuropathy to my growing list of side effects. The bottom of my feet become numb after only brief periods of standing, and my ITB band (located on the outside of your thigh from your hip to your knee) often feels light... hard to describe, it is floating sensation very irritating. My sleep has not been the best do to not feeling tired when I should. I seem to sleep o.k. once I fall asleep, but late in the evening into the night after I have felt tired much of the day I no longer seem tired. I have been prescribed sleeping medication, but have been reluctant to take them. Seems silly I know, but my chemo is known to cause blood clots, and if I take a sleeping pill I may not move around much if any while I am asleep for 6-8 hours increasing my chances of developing clots. I do have a plan, but I will need some help from Kaiser.



The plan: Starts by saying Thank you to Kimberly B. Kim is a friend who gave me advice that should have been a no brain-er for me, however it never crossed my mind. Get a referral to P.T. see if they have any assistive devices to help me with my daily living activities, getting dressed, in and out of bed, scratching my butt, also looking into the chance they have bolsters to help my positioning at night along with electronic compression socks that would circulate the blood from my legs while I sleep to decrease the chance of blood clots.. and the big one see if I can get my insurance to help cover the cost of a recliner or hospital bed... if it comes to that. I have an appointment this coming Monday so we will see.


Watch out Lizzy you now have a picture on the Internet. Pictured below is Kahu Wendell Silva who presided over out wedding ceremony. Serena's mom Elizabeth, the Vickster and the newly weds.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the writing Scraun--keep up the details. The faint of heart can skim--but there's some of us who want to hear every last GI statement. Keep your fans in the game and we'll be there during the rough times. Catchya in 8 weeks, Wilson

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jon. I appreciate your openness and honesty.

But I swear, I never said anything about you scratching your butt. TMI. Gross. Such a boy.


KB

Anonymous said...

You took a big risk putting a photo of me on - the whole system might have crashed !!
Loads of Love
Lizzie xx

Anonymous said...

My word! Let's just call this blog the reunion! Awesome to see Momma, Vicki on your blog - been wondering how she is. Well everyone has pretty much said what I would say so just keep the updates coming! Don't want to write much and screw up and have a Meganism on the internet!
Love ya,
Megan Fry (Forney)

Anonymous said...

What a team, keep up the good work.

Keep smiling and blogging. Love the dog - what a set of nashers.
I suspect we share the same dentist.

LOL
Carole

Anonymous said...

hi you two! did you know that there's a picture of you in a hawai'i wedding book titled, white? page 87 by visionary. i'm pretty sure it's the two of you. love you both.