Friday night I tried to sleep lying on my side. It was nice once positioned on the bed. It felt good not sitting up and being off my back (the only way I can sleep). However after just a few minutes I felt a couple of my ribs crunch and my pain has been intense ever since. (2 oxycodone every 4 hours helps... really helps, not to mention the Mojito I had with dinner).... but that is how fragile my ribs have become...
......... back to not working, the reasons why this decision was so difficult to make.... is that I am finally admitting "I can't do this by myself". Like I mentioned in an earlier blog, I have been called stubborn. Even with my Dx. and the prognosis that comes attached I planned to continue working while I received treatment and continue my life without pause. That is no longer possible and I will have to start reaching out for support beyond positive thoughts and prayers.
I want everyone to know it is 9:18 am Sunday morning and what has been typed above is done by a person who feels good. The changes Serena and I will have to make without me working will suck, the fact that it will not be long until I have to sleep in a recliner will suck, the fact that at this time we don't own a recliner and I will have to go "shopping" (shopping... that may be worse then cancer) stinks as well, however it does not depress or distress me. It is just another step in our fight.
On a lighter note I have been taking Chemo for a week without much to write about. Other then having a little fatigue, slight muscle aches, and some not so pleasant but not to bad lower GI statements everything is going well. I will have blood work done on Monday to check for changes in my blood cells. Not the abnormal plasma cells floating around causing havoc (those little shits) but my red and white blood cells. One of the sever side effects of my chemo medication is what it can do to your normal blood cells. besides that my body, actually my skin is often hot, very hot but without me running a fever. When I go to bed and throughout the day I place freezer packs wrapped in a hand towel against my neck, legs or stomach. Also I don't think my deodorant works as well now.. not sure why that is, but that is about all there is to say on my treatment..
On a refreshing side..... I have been know to sample a nice lager, porter or Ale on occasion. Serena and I both enjoy Red wine and would open a bottle once every week or two. I did not drink often or much before I became sick and even less since. Now that being said....... I brewed beer yesterday with my friend Kevin. It is something we had talked about for over a year. It will be a summer ale ready for consumption the beginning of August. Just throwing that tid bit out there so people know I am not confined to the house... it takes me a little longer to get around, but i am still around......

9 comments:
Hey, shopping for a recliner might not be so bad. Just make sure you have a TV remote attached on one side and a cup holder on the other side for those bottles of home brew!
Glad you're taking care of yourself
Love
Nisi and David
Scott - ok the beer and the wine are ok, but what you really need is a good bottle of Scotch !!! In fact I am having one now before I go to bed (not a whole bottle)and I am drinking to you and your recovered health.
Love to both of you. Mum xx
The link between your blog and my email does work !
I imagine how difficult the decision to stop working was, and I am glad to read that you had the courage to take it (you're not stubborn). Your fight against the disease is already a full-time work and the most important.
Be sure that you both are in my thoughts every day.
Keep hope and strenght.
Love
Carole
I Love you bro, keep your head up! I'll be in touch.....
Ken
Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself, even if that means not working. Please know that you are in our thoughts everyday. We'll keep the positive energy coming your way. Oh, on a side note, remember playing Balderdash and you botching up my definition - "doppledated" instead of "dilapidated"? You crack me up, boy! ~Kobie
Scott & Serena,
I am so happy your mom will be on her way to see you Wed. I work with her and arranged her flights. She can hardly wait to get there and give you both a great big hug. I hope ya all have a really fantastic visit and are truely able to enjoy each others company. Drink some wine and have some fun. Keep us posted on ya all's events while she is there. I wish I was coming with her. I feel as if you are both part of my family. Your mom is truely an amazing and wonderful person,and a true friend. Love, Terri
Scott -
Marie sent us your link and I am so glad. What an excellent way to help you cope and keep others in the loop who care so much about you. Keep in mind that my nursing love is Oncology and I am currently the research nurse in our bone marrow transplant unit, so if you ever need anyone to ask questions feel free to send me an e-mail. By the way, your wife is beautiful and so is your wedding picture. I wish you all the best!!
Jenell (Dorn) Currence :)
jenellcurrence@cox.net
Hey Scott & Serena. Awesome idea having this blog. There are so many people wanting to keep tabs on you! You truly have a cheering section all over the world! That's one hell of a wave!
I love the pictures, especially your wedding photo. Absolutely gorgeous! Stay strong both of you and try to find some humor everyday. Know that you both are in my thoughts and heart everyday.
Lots of love and positive energy,
Steph Crecca (Fox)
"The power of love to change bodies is legendary, built into folklore, common sense, and everyday experience. Love moves flesh, it pushes matter around...Throughout history, 'tender loving care' has uniformly been recognized as a valuable element in healing." ~ Larry Dossey
Scott & Serena
You guys have been in my thoughts and heart since the day I got your email. You will overcome this. you are more than welcome to stay at my house in Ewa beach. I know it's far away from Waikiki but the offer stands forever. Don't hesitate to email or call me
All my Love
Ulrika
Post a Comment