As some of you may know I cashed in some of my airline miles and booked a trip to the Philippines. Yes I know. While it may not be the on par with some of the cleanest places I could have visited there is a very good reason.
Whale Sharks. That’s right it sounds bad but "Trust me" (he said with a smile and batting his eyes lashes) it is not as bad as it sounds. Although they are the largest fish in the sea, they are plankton not man eaters. I was able to view one on my first day out and will go out tomorrow as well. I am much more likely to be injured by another tourist then one of these magnificent fish. There are a few other places in the world where you can swim with these giants however the South China Sea off of the coast of Donsol holds the best chance of having multiple encounters in a single day.
The trip was a spur of the moment event. Thanks to Edmund a.k.a. Shark Bait (Hawaiian Brew Master and Legend) who informed me he was headed to the Philippines after his 6 week work voyage in the Pacific. Edmund works for NOAA and his job is to document and monitor coral reef systems in the Pacific. He mentioned you could swim with the Whale Sharks, which I thought could only be done in Western Australia. After a little research on booking a flight with my miles (55,000 r/t) and convincing Shark Bait I would be a fun guy to travel, bunk, eat and tour around with I checked my miles and booked my trip.
Besides the Shark diving I also had the chance to Scuba dive again. It has been way to long. Even before getting sick I kept telling myself I need to go diving again. It just never happened. Well Bait picked the right spot for us. We stayed on and dove from Apo Island, and experience some of the best diving (over 4 days) the Philippines has to offer. It is an amazing world under the water around Apo.


Edmound and I on the way to Apo Island.... Edmound sampling some street meat or chicken feet
I have met some colorful, interesting and unique people so far on my journey. My time here is a little more the half over, and today I have decided to take it easy. I had a small infection from an ingrown toenail that I had to lance and treat yesterday so rest and staying out of the water for the day will do me good.
Picture of infected toe and puss after lancing will not be pictured.
My health is good. As most of you know my IgD levels have gone down significantly over the past month. I will have my next blood draw later this month. I wish everyone well.
Aloha
p.s. Believe it or not I did get my Oncologist permission to: A. go diving & B. travel to the Philippines.
3 comments:
Hey Scott,
Have fun in P.I...both my dad and sister are there now... in Baguio!!! I'm headed there next year! don't eat the "balut" and "adidas"...ask the locals and you'll understand why! Hehehe! If you need contacts, email me!
marie s.
. . . steet meat notwithstanding.
Post a Comment