Giving Flights. Extending Life

Giving Flights. Extending Life

Our Mission:

The Scott S. Craun Foundation is a non-profit charity created by Scott Craun (1975-2011), a registered nurse in Honolulu, Hawaii. Before Scott passed away from Multiple Myeloma, he took the initial steps to establish a fund that could perpetually aid island-bound cancer patients. Multiple Myeloma is a rare blood cell cancer. Scott's know-how as a health care provider AND a cancer patient lent his mission a laser focus on a specific population. Relatively, there are not many myeloma patients in Hawaii (less than 400). The nearest support groups are in California. This charity will make an important difference in the quality of some of these lives. Like Scott, these patients were told, "You have an 'incurable cancer.' Eventually, you will have to take a break from your work. And the most specialized treatment centers are 2500 miles away."


Scott's wish is to provide Hawaii's myeloma patients (or one family member/care-giver) with round-trip airfare to the Continental US for any oncologist-recommended treatment not available in Hawaii. Stem cell transplant, for example, can be a key to prolonging life--sometimes by years--as it was for Scott. Twice Scott experienced the hardships of this relocation for transplant. Scott had many of us to help him through this burden and he was eternally grateful; many other patients are not nearly as networked. Scott became acutely aware of their immediate need. He left behind documents outlining a non-profit based on incremental goals and longevity as priorities over huge sums of money. Ultimate success means for us to be still providing at least one annual flight on the day Hawaii is capable of all specialized myeloma patient technology. Or, even better: on the day MM is no longer deemed "incurable."


To turn Scott's efforts into reality, we will need your help. One annual donation per person--of any amount--is welcomed, along with your suggestions, fundraising ideas, and maybe a few volunteer hours at our events. All who donate will receive a personal message from our foundation updating you on our balance, expenses, number of donors, upcoming fundraisers, and goals. The specific language in our tax exempt 501(c)3 will be transparent to all. We report to every single donor as if they were an investor, beacause they are. The way we give to patients will be on a very personal basis, and we'll share those stories here. Thank you, stay tuned, and thanks to Scott for pointing us in the right direction! We're going to take what he started . . . and keep it going for as long as there is a demand.

Scott S. Craun Foundation. Domestic Nonprofit Corporation, State of Hawaii File No. 235294 D2.

Make out checks to: / send mail to:
Scott S. Craun Foundation
2700 S. King Street
Unit 11564
Honolulu, HI 96828
ph. (808) 772-0408

CraunFoundation@gmail.com

Monday, August 20, 2007

No post for 2 weeks? It is a good thing.

It is hard to believe I have not posted a blog in 2 weeks. I am feeling better and better since the start of my chemo. I am no longer on any type of pain medication. I am sleeping well, and have found myself on a routine of going to bed around 9:30 pm and getting up around 6:15am. I have been walking and jogging every morning. Not very far (1.5 - 2 miles) or fast 25-35 minutes, but it is nice to get some form of exercise in everyday. Since I am feeling better (in general) i am not spending as much time in the house or in front of the computer. Hence I have not posted a blog in 2 weeks, and it is a good thing. It is not for a lack of things to report or for the fact that I do not have anything to say (have never be to shy to open my mouth and make a fool of myself).

I can finally tell you about my protein levels. I will start sith the normal level for my abnormal protein is 179. When I was first diagnosed my levels were well over 3000. Close to 20 times the normal level. At the time my oncologist suggested that it was high. Suggested in a way that I took for "wow or ____ they are high!". There are only 3 stages of MM and with all other test being normal and there were a number of them, he classified me as intermittent sage 2. He stated that if any other test would have been abnormal or borderline I would have been classified as stage 3. All because of my friends the M proteins. The most recent protein level drawn showed that my levels had decreased to a little over 500. About 3 times the normal level. What does that mean for me (beside feeling better and not having pain), my doctor will check the levels again in 3 weeks. If the number is within the normal range he will then take another bone marrow sample. If the marrow is clean enough (his words), he will then start the process of getting me set up for City of Hope in Duarte California. It the levels are still above normal we go another month. If the levels are good but the marrow is not, we go another month and re-evaluate again.

So I am feeling better. I am having more and more problems with my digestive system thanks to the meds, however it is a trade off I will gladly accept. I also have a good bit of cramping in my legs (mostly my calfs). I continue to be hot most of the time, and I have started to have a little more neuropathy (side effect of the chemo...) in my toes and feet. I had to through some aww poor Scott stuff in there, I don't want you to know I am doing cartwheels... not yet anyway.

I want to thank Jon (JW). For the past 5 or 6 years from the end of August to the end of November Jon has been house sitting for a couple. Jon asked this couple who Serena and I have met a few times if it would be ok for us to house sit, do to our situation. They had no problem letting us invade there home, and take care of there children (2 black labs). Serena and I will begin our house sitting, and dog walking duties on the 23rd of this month. Thank you Jon. Saving 2-3 months rent will go a long way. Below is a pic of Jon with a pike he caught while spending the summer working and playing in Alaska.




Next I would like to thank Leigh. Leigh is an RN who works at Straub Hospital. I have know Leigh for about a year. Leigh does not specifically work in the ER, she is a STAT Nurse. She carries a pager and is called to help with critical patients in or on all the units. Since she is not an ER Nurse I have not had the chance to see and talk with her as I can with others who work in the ER. That being said everyone in the ER is fond of Leigh. She is good people. You do not have to know her very long to pick up on her kindness, and joy for life (outside of work) yoga, surfing, her dog, dinning out with friends. Now I mention Leigh because she held her 3rd annual kickball tournament 2 weekends ago. She held it as a fundraiser to help with our upcoming medical bills. It was a rainy, sunny, rainy, rainy, muddy day in Manoa Valley. 8 teams entered from various hospitals and friends. Everyone had a blast. People donated time to ref the games, items to raffle off, beer for the thirsty competitors. The games were fun, and I got a chance to see a lot of friends and colleagues that I have not seen since the beginning of the year. Leigh thank you again. It was a great way to spend a Saturday.



Lastly, the day after the kickball tournament Serena and I flew over to Maui to see our friends Derek and Leia. Leia is 39 weeks pregnant. We have not seen them for about 9 months. (Since Leia was 2 weeks pregnant, not that anyone knew at the time). I just want to wish them well and let them know we truly enjoyed our visit.

Take care everyone. I hope you are all doing well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Serena and Scott
Glad to read the update blog - things seem to be improving - long may they go on !! Very nice to see the picture of you two with Leia and Derek - you all look good.
Hope the "move" goes ok. More on email.
Lots of Love Mum (L)xx

Anonymous said...

Hey bud,
Thanks for the update.
Gotta love that Revlimid! Say thank you to all your friends over on the island for us. Hope to see you and Serena soon. Give us a holla if you need any help with anything.

Ryan and Stacy N.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott, glad to hear you are feeling much better. Hope everything in the next few weeks goes well, and if there is anything we can do here in York, i'm here to help. Take care and thinking of you
Cherie

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like your winning this round. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're on a plane shortly. Not a bad treatment locale, SoCal.

For Fisherman: a catch this fine needs a fish story. This is a 32-inch Alaskan Northern Pike, typically tastier and bigger than its Lower 48 cousins. It was caught on a #5 Mepps Red/White Spinner in three feet of shore water at Minto Flats, 30 min. by floatplane north of Fairbanks, June 22, 2007. AK pike are extremely aggressive and usually older than many fish of freshwater lake/river systems. This one was roughly 20-25 years old. It feeds mostly on younger pike, other fish, insects, ducklings, and rodents, like the mouse we found in its throat when filleting it. Despite its recent furry meal, this fish chomped my lure an instant BEFORE it hit the water. Yes, pike can see at least what is immediately above water, and it is fairly common to witness them thrash out of the water for prey.

Six of us caught and released over one hundred of these fish in 2.5 days, a tyical outing for Minto. The white fillets are delicious, despite the alligator look and behavior. This was the second biggest we caught, although these waters have produced 30+ year-old specimens over 4 feet long.

(Can't show that picture without a big fish tale.)

JW

Anonymous said...

Hey bro.

Man, it's been about 15 years since I've seen that hairy mug of yours. Needless to say, I was pretty floored when I jumped onto your blog and read about all you've been going through recently. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to more posts soon - I got you bookmarked now.

Also looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks at the Walk (thanks to whoever decided NOT to make it a 5K RUN!).

Until then, I'm praying for ya.

Jason Slobozien
psuslobos@earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear your doing better. We continue to pray for your recovery. We are planning to attend the walk on Oct. 7th, I hope we get some time to chat. I am sure you'll be swarmed with support and love from all your friends.

Love ya,

The Clark Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
I just wanted to say I am thinking and praying for you. I'm sorry I can't make the walk, I really wish I could. I love all the pics you have...its amazing to see all the beautiful places you have been. Take care!
Steph Barnes

seaks said...

Scott,

Hawaii eh? how does that compare to poplar terrace?

I'll be keeping tabs on you now bub..hope things go well.

drop a line when you get a chance

Shawn Seaks
sseaks@gmail.com