Giving Flights. Extending Life

Giving Flights. Extending Life

Our Mission:

The Scott S. Craun Foundation is a non-profit charity created by Scott Craun (1975-2011), a registered nurse in Honolulu, Hawaii. Before Scott passed away from Multiple Myeloma, he took the initial steps to establish a fund that could perpetually aid island-bound cancer patients. Multiple Myeloma is a rare blood cell cancer. Scott's know-how as a health care provider AND a cancer patient lent his mission a laser focus on a specific population. Relatively, there are not many myeloma patients in Hawaii (less than 400). The nearest support groups are in California. This charity will make an important difference in the quality of some of these lives. Like Scott, these patients were told, "You have an 'incurable cancer.' Eventually, you will have to take a break from your work. And the most specialized treatment centers are 2500 miles away."


Scott's wish is to provide Hawaii's myeloma patients (or one family member/care-giver) with round-trip airfare to the Continental US for any oncologist-recommended treatment not available in Hawaii. Stem cell transplant, for example, can be a key to prolonging life--sometimes by years--as it was for Scott. Twice Scott experienced the hardships of this relocation for transplant. Scott had many of us to help him through this burden and he was eternally grateful; many other patients are not nearly as networked. Scott became acutely aware of their immediate need. He left behind documents outlining a non-profit based on incremental goals and longevity as priorities over huge sums of money. Ultimate success means for us to be still providing at least one annual flight on the day Hawaii is capable of all specialized myeloma patient technology. Or, even better: on the day MM is no longer deemed "incurable."


To turn Scott's efforts into reality, we will need your help. One annual donation per person--of any amount--is welcomed, along with your suggestions, fundraising ideas, and maybe a few volunteer hours at our events. All who donate will receive a personal message from our foundation updating you on our balance, expenses, number of donors, upcoming fundraisers, and goals. The specific language in our tax exempt 501(c)3 will be transparent to all. We report to every single donor as if they were an investor, beacause they are. The way we give to patients will be on a very personal basis, and we'll share those stories here. Thank you, stay tuned, and thanks to Scott for pointing us in the right direction! We're going to take what he started . . . and keep it going for as long as there is a demand.

Scott S. Craun Foundation. Domestic Nonprofit Corporation, State of Hawaii File No. 235294 D2.

Make out checks to: / send mail to:
Scott S. Craun Foundation
2700 S. King Street
Unit 11564
Honolulu, HI 96828
ph. (808) 772-0408

CraunFoundation@gmail.com

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Back on track

I am starting to feel better again, since the blood clot. It took it's toll on me mentally and physically. The swelling in my arm is finally gone. For the most part the pain has resolved as well. I have some tenderness in the upper part of my arm and the vein that my last IV was in (that became infected) is still rock hard and tender to the touch. I am still limiting what I do with my arm, however I feel my doc. will says it is o.k. to use it as long as it does not hurt when I see him next (this coming Friday). It has been tough mentally because I was feeling so much better just before it happened. The pain in my ribs has all but resolved. It takes a pretty hard sneeze (which i have been doing a lot of lately) to feel any pain. I have been able to sleep lying down, walk for exercise, put my socks and shoes on without thinking about it. The day before I was diagnosed with the clot I was talking to a friend of mine he asked how I was feeling. He said you sound so much better then I had in some time. This is someone I talk to almost every day. My response to him was that " I feel better then I have since I first broke my ribs last November. I think I will have a pretty normal life for the next few months, until I go to California for my treatment. I think I will be able to get back to the gym start stretching again, swim at the beach and maybe even do some hiking." I had not expected to feel that good, maybe again. Or at least until after my radiation, heavy chemo and transplant later this year. So you can imagine feeling bad and having pain for so many months, then finally feeling better, much better, normal even and the next day reality pulls the rug out from under your feet and puts a clot in your arm. That can really bumb you out. So it is not the clot it self that bothered me, but what it meant. If I obtained a clot on Aspirin as my anti-coagulation drug I would have to take something much stronger. And with Coumadin comes it's own risk and side effects. It is a very effective blood thinner, but it is strong and when on coumadin you have to be a little more careful of what you are doing and of your surroundings then you do on Aspirin. On top of that I had to give myself shots of Lovenox twice a day (in the stomach) for almost 2 weeks until the Coumadin started to work and my blood levels became therapeutic. So now that I have recovered from life's most recent swift kick to my balls we are moving forward.

The bright side. My pain. It is better. Regardless of the clot and blood thinners. I have been able to walk around the park for exercise. I even tried to jog yesterday. I could literally only jog 100 yards before I had to walk again. Sad but I was glad to do that, and do that without pain. Hopefully by next week I will be able to swim around the ocean a little.

I still do not have the results of my last protein levels. The evil guys that are trying to eat away my bones and attack my body. I feel they are going to be dramatically lower. The reason is my pain. The pain I was having in my ribs was from the lesion the proteins caused. They eat away the bone causing the lesions. Since my pain has resolved, the chemo must be keeping up the good fight which in turn gives my body (ribs) a chance to heal. If the proteins were still causing havoc my ribs would not be able to repair themselves. Pretty good if you ask me.

I finished my second month of Chemo today. So I will be off the medication for the next week. Last time I was off the chemo I felt so much better. I did not realize that I felt that crappy while I was on the meds, until I was off of them. On a daily basis I fell normal. Normal just happens to equal crappy. It is amazing what you can get used to. Aches, pain, being tired with no energy... if it is a daily thing you don't think of it.. you wake up and go about your day. So needless to say I am looking forward to the upcoming week.

I hope everyone has been having a nice summer. I hope everyone is doing well. Take care, don't forget to take some time and relax, enjoy what is important to you. Scott Pic: Lake Labarge, Yukon Territory, Canada.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Stay positive, and my thoughts are with you.

-Ritter

Anonymous said...

Clot aside, the general theme of that last post is improvement--good to hear it. Seems like you're gonna have a lot of these ups and downs this year on the road to beating this into submission. Keep the positive outlook constant even through the set backs. Remember, cancer survivors have all sorts game. I want to reap the benefits from being in your entourage.

-Wilson

(Where was that last posted pic taken--the beach shot in the Queens shirt?)

Anonymous said...

Scott,

This post is long over due. Been keeping up with all of your updates, and been thinking about you a lot brotha. I am glad to hear that you are finally starting to feel better. I wish you all the best in continuing to improve. Look forward to hearing more positive info. Mahalo for all the inspiration!

-Trey

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Canada. Good to read your current blog and hope that you are having a "good" week "off". Take care and love to both of you.
Mum and Marcellus xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott and Serena (the Little One)

Liz was just here to visit us in Manotick, Canada. Just want to sent you a short note of love and well wishes from both of us. We will send you a letter direct by E-Mail. Scott keep up the battle and stay positive. Our thought are with you.

Lots of love and support.

Erik & Maggie