Let me start by telling my Mom that I love her and it was nice to have her here this past week. Mom was here for a little over a week, and flew home Thursday night.
I continue to be the man of small percentages. (insert joke here) ........ I started on Fentanyl a little over a week ago for pain control. Now my pain is much improved. Like I mentioned in my last post I still have pain, however the edge is off and with the patch I get a continually does of medication. This prevents me from waking up in sever pain and then spending half the day trying to get comfortable. The reason I mentioned the percentages is 3-5% of the people who use the fentanyl patch report having insomnia and or restlessness. I have been applying the patch at night before bed thinking that is when it would be most effective and the most likely to cause drowsiness. This past Monday I was up all night and couldn't figure why. So I started using a sleeping pill on Tuesday and every night since. Then on Thursday night after applying the patch and falling asleep I woke at 1 am. I was wide awake with no chance of returning to sleep. Even though I had taken a sleeping pill 4 and a half hours before. That is when I called the company that makes Fentanyl and found out about the insomnia. The insomnia has only been bad the first night of each new patch. I do not always get full nights sleep on the other nights but I have been getting more then 6 hours each night.
The past couple days I have felt better then I have in some time. I can not explain how I feel or how I feel that is better then how I felt previously. I seem to have a little more energy without really having more energy. That being said I feel asleep on the couch today (sitting up watching TV) for a couple hours and did not realize I was tired, however when Serena got home and I woke up I did not feel drowsy or fatigued. I walked around the park yesterday and this evening. That is the first time I have been able to walk (exercise) for quite some time. Probably over 2 months.
Tomorrow will be my last dose of my first cycle of Revlimid (chemo). I did not receive a call from my Oncologist regarding my weekly blood draws this week. I would usually call to find out but left it be this week. I figured I would get a call if anything was abnormal. I will have more labs on Monday. Along with counselling from a social worker and a Psychiatrist. It is protocol to be evaluated mentally before undergoing heavy chemo, radiation, and transplantation to make sure I am "capable" (insert second joke here) of understanding what I will go through and handle the actual treatment. So on Monday 8:30 am Hawaii Time I will be getting treatment and evaluation that most of you have always thought I needed.
Lastly I met up with Physical Therapy this past week. They were not able to help me what so ever. I am not looking for any bad karma so I'll leave it at that. I took a couple pictures on my walk tonight. For those of you who know Hawaii no description is necessary. Seen in the picture is Diamond Head. It is not called that because of it's shape, but how it appear to sparkle when viewed by British Seamen in the 1700. Serena and I live near the base of Diamond Head across from Kapiolani Park where the picture was taken from.

7 comments:
Hi Serena and Scott
Good to get the latest update. It must have been lovely to have Vicki there with you. Hope your treatment and evaluation went ok today Scott.
I was asked to go into a diabetes research project and spent the morning on Friday at one of the big hospitals - I was not looking forward to the "mental agility" tests but, guess what, I am not as senile as I thought I was !!!
Glad to were able to get out walking.
I shall comment on the birthday card you sent me privately via your hotmail !! I had a nice birthday.
Like the photos - dinner at Tiki's and Diamond Head.
Hugs and kisses to both of you.
Love Mum Lizzy xx
Scott and Serena,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I think of you all the time and am sending long distance hugs and kisses.
xoxoxoxo,
Deb Sweigart
Scott
I love you too . . . did you buy stock in Puffs /Kleenex yet? Although my time with you all was short, I also had a good time. Glad to hear you had engery for a walk or two. I have never seen Diamond Head look so a blaze with color.
Love to all my children
Mom xxxx oooo
Scott and Serena,
This is kinda personal but as an Oncology nurse I have to ask if you have also been counseled on sperm banking prior to anymore treatment?
Jenell
jenell.currence@cox.net
Glad to hear you are getting a bit more sleep and feeling up to a bit of a stroll. That's an amazing picture of Diamond Head, maybe a second career as a photographer awaits!
Summer is finally here for a scheduled 3 days this week and I walked to and from work for the first time this year. Trying to shed some of that excess blubber! Now if I could only get David to stop buying wine...
Love
Nisi
xxx
Scott,
I have been checking your blog for the last week or so and I'm so amazed by your incredibly positive attitude and sense of humor. My eyes fill with tears while I'm sitting here laughing at your jokes. I'm so glad you are doing this blog. If you get a chance, send me a real email address for you... mine is sshuler@hersheys.com.
Take care!
Stacy Shuler
Hi Scott and Serena,
I'm glad to see you were able to go for a walk - that's a beautiful picture of Diamond Head - it makes me miss Hawaii!
I think of you both daily and send you positive energy and long distance hugs.
Miss you both!
Love,
Carley
Post a Comment